Skip to: Main navigation | MyBUFFSTATE | Main content | Contact information

Housing Accommodations

Disability-Related Housing Accommodation

The Residence Life Office recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodations in
its housing policies and practices necessary for individuals to use the residence halls and enjoy the
residential experience.  A student who believes they need a disability-related housing
accommodation should contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) and submit the Disability-
Related Housing Accommodation Request form. Requests should be submitted as soon as possible and, absent extenuating circumstances, prior to room assignment.  The location of a particular assignment can never be guaranteed. It is our goal to accommodate each specific need with an appropriate housing assignment on an individualized basis. Students that qualify for Disability-Related Housing Accommodation under Section 504/ADA will receive any such accommodations without any additional charge.  Requests for accommodations must be submitted each academic year using the following procedure:

1. Student submits the Disability-Related Housing Accommodation Request (hereafter referred to as the Accommodation Request form) to Student Accessibility Services (SAS) along with supporting medical documentation establishing the need for an accommodation.

  • Accommodation requests made fewer than 30 days before the start of the semester cannot be guaranteed. However, if the student already lives on-campus, they should contact SAS and submit the Accommodation Request form as soon as the need becomes apparent.
  • SAS will provide an acknowledgement of the student’s request within 14 days of receipt. 
    Additionally, upon prompt review of the supporting documentation provided by the student, SAS will advise, in writing, both the student and Residence Life Office of the recommended accommodation.

- New Residential Students:

  • Must complete the housing application.
  • Must contact SAS to request an accommodation, no fewer than 30 days before the start of the semester.

- Current Residential Students:

  • Must contact SAS to request an accommodation as soon as possible, if submitting a new request during the academic year.
  • Requests for an accommodation for the following academic year must be submitted to SAS prior to the conclusion of the room selection process.

2. If the accommodation request is approved, SAS will contact the Residence Life Office to identify
    the appropriate room assignment to meet the need.

3. The Residence Life Office will contact the student regarding the housing assignment.

Student Accessibility Services
Assistance Animal policy
Disability-Related Housing Accommodation Form

Residence Life Office
Housing Application


Residence Life Office

Buffalo State •  1300 Elmwood Ave  •  Porter Hall
Buffalo, NY 14222  •  Phone: (716) 878-3000 •  Fax: (716) 878-6000
Connect With Us