Skip to: Main navigation | MyBUFFSTATE | Main content | Contact information


Going away to college is often the first step in your student’s life toward becoming independent. It can be hard to watch him or her struggle and make mistakes without stepping in to help. There are many ways that you can help your student while encouraging independence and self sufficiency. Here are some of our suggestions:

Whom can my student talk to in the Residence Hall?
Your student has a Complex Director (CD) or Resident Director (RD) that serves as the administrator of the building. They have daily office hours Monday-Friday and are available by appointment if the office hours do not fit into your student’s schedule. If your student has any concerns about the residence hall or needs to ask questions or to talk, he or she can speak to our friendly and knowledgeable professional staff members.

Whom can my student talk to on campus?
There are many other services that your student can take advantage of if he or she has an issue or concern.

Counseling Services

Weigel Health Center

Career Development Center

Student Life

Financial Aid


Dining Services

University Police

Where does my student receive important information?
All College correspondences occur via their Buffalo State e-mail account, web site, and through their on-campus mailbox. Please encourage your student to check all these on a daily basis to receive information regarding important announcements, financial aid, important dates, and deadlines.


What if my student is not getting along with a roommate? Can he or she request a room change?
In the first few weeks of the semester, your student will fill out a Roommate Agreement Form with a roommate. This is a time where students can talk to their roommate about study and sleep habits, guests, and sharing items. Please encourage your student to be as honest as possible with the roommate. If a conflict arises between your student and the roommate, encourage him or her to talk to the roommate about the concern because many times the roommate isn’t even aware of doing something that creates a problem. If the conflict continues, encourage your student to first seek out the Paraprofessional (FYM, RA, AA) in his or her community. Your student’s Paraprofessional is trained in conflict-mediation and will set up a time to meet with your student and the roommate to talk through the concern and reach a compromise. Encourage your student to keep the paraprofessional apprised to the situation. Room changes as a result of roommate conflict are not common. Please encourage your student to keep an open mind through the mediation process and to remember that he or she needs to be flexible and willing to compromise too.

My student would like furniture added/removed from his/her room or he/she is having other maintenance problems (no heat, leaking plumbing, no power to electrical outlets, blown light bulb). What can he/she do?
Your student can submit a Work Request or ask the Paraprofessional for assistance. If the problem needs immediate attention, your student should find any Paraprofessional or the professional staff member in charge of the building. The staff member will call in the Work Request addressing the problem that needs to be fixed immediately.


Residence Life Office

Buffalo State •  1300 Elmwood Ave  •  Porter Hall
Buffalo, NY 14222  •  Phone: (716) 878-3000 •  Fax: (716) 878-6000
Connect With Us